Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Regency Letters



Nearly at the end of this story. Never mind I'll think of something else to post then.



I received a four star review in the Romantic Times for Bartered Bride, which came out in USA recently. Several new books in the pipeline. Love to all.






Now read the story:










May 1816
Dearest Mama.
I know you may never forgive me. I have shamed you and my family and if Melton carries out his threat Robert will be ruined. He says that Melton will find it harder than he thinks and is determined not to be bullied. You know now that Frederick has given up his career for my sake. His family were disturbed but he says they support him and he should not care if they did not, because he loves me more than his life.
Please Mama, do try to understand and to forgive me. In the end I had no choice but to leave England. My dearest Freddie says that you will always be welcome here and perhaps one day you will visit us.
I send you my love and hope you will not turn your face from me for ever.
I love you, Mama. Horatia

















May 1816
My own dearest Robert.
How can we ever thank you enough for what you did for us that day? I think that if you had not stood between them Freddie and Melton would have killed each other. I know you have risked much for us and I wish it might have been otherwise. Forgive me for bringing trouble to your door.
You said you might sell the estate and come to us in Italy. How I should love that and I think the sun would be good for your health, but you might lose too much. Mama will be furious I know and my sister may not be allowed to receive letters from me, though I shall send them.
I shall not write to Melton. He may blacken my name as he pleases. I shall not defend myself. Freddie says he may pursue us but I think he will not trouble himself. Once he calms down he must see it is for the best.
Should you decide to visit us it would be a joy – and there is a villa for sale just down the hill from us. What happiness could be ours if you bought it – but the decision must be yours, dearest.
I shall tell you that I am as happy as it is possible for a woman to be and I owe much of my happiness to you, for without you I might not have had the courage.
Know that you have my love, dearest one, and write to me soon.
Horatia

1 comment:

Bose said...

Great article with many takeaways. I can truly see the value in the multiple approach
Letters