Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Captain Wentworth's Diary is out today!


The paperback of Captain Wentworth's Diary is out today!

It's available from bookshops in the US and elsewhere in the world it's available from online sellers such as Amazon UK

I loved writing this book. I've always wondered what happened when Anne and Wentworth first met in 1806 and this book gave me a chance to write my version of what might have happened.


Although Jane Austen doesn't give us much information about this time in their lives, she says that Wentworth was young, handsome and brilliant, a bold and confident young man who was sure he would soon win promotion.

Anne was pretty, and because she suffered a loss of spirits when she and Wentworth parted, we know she must have been more spirited than the young woman we see in Persuasion.

And so I started the book when Wentworth, newly promoted, goes to spend his shore leave with his brother and falls in love with the young Anne Elliot. They become engaged, but are then separated by Lady Russell.

One of my favourite parts of the book is the moment when I allow Wentworth and Lady Russell to meet, just after Anne has told him they can't be married. He's very angry and berates her for her meddling. Then he goes back to sea.

The second part of the book carries on through the events of Persusaion, showing them all through Wentworth's eyes.

I hope you like it!

You can find reviews and extracts on my website at www.amandagrange.com


Amanda Grange

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Amanda! I hope it does well for you. It's a wonderful premise and I am sure many readers would like to know what really happened between Anne and Captain Wentworth

Melinda Hammond

Anonymous said...

Jane said...

Many congratulations, Amanda. Persuasion is one of my favourite Austen books. I loved the BBC adaptation with Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root, so I'm really keen to know Captain Wentworth's view of events.
I hope it achieves excellent sales.

Best wishes,
Jane

Jan Jones said...

Fingers crossed for lots of sales, Amanda!