Sunday, October 01, 2006

Have you seen Brigadoon?


"I saw the rain-dirty valley, you saw Brigadoon."
- Waterboys, The Whole of the Moon


I'd never seen Brigadoon, that is up until a couple of weeks ago.

At the end of a slightly stressful day putting on a DVD of a musical by Learner and Lowe (who also wrote My Fair Lady, one of my favourite films ever) seemed like a good plan.

The film of the musical was made in 1954 by Vincent Minelli (father of Liza). The sound is in Mono and the Highlands of Scotland settings are painted backdrops in a studio.

However, Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse are fabulous, the story is very romantic, and the score immediately appealing and memorable.

There are some calls to remake Brigadoon, which seems like a good idea to me. Although the film is lovely, it does feel dated.

While there seems to have been a book published in 1949, nothing since (as far as I could discover). If there had been a novelisation available, I'd have bought it.

Have you seen Brigadoon? What do you think? Is it time for an update?

No comments: